This is not the official SquiGuard homepage, but only an happy user's page :
official homepage was http://www.squidguard.org. It seems out of service.
Mirko Lorenz created a mirror here
SquidGuard is a redirector
which uses sleepycat
version of Berkeley Database
Its authors are
- Pål Marius Baltzersen
- Lars-Erik Håland
A new patched version of squidGuard 1.2.10
with this REAME
is available. This is a compilation of patch from
many contributors. I didn't even change a dot. Thanks to Franck Bourdonnec to suggest this packaged version.
The last stable version is 1.2.0
Here it is the ChangeLog
It needs a recent version of Berkeley Database (> 3.2 but < 4.x)
An ftp directory is available here, in France at : ftp://ftp.univ-tlse1.fr/pub/reseau/cache/squidGuard/
I began a contrib directory here : ftp://ftp.univ-tlse1.fr/pub/reseau/cache/squidguard_contrib/
It has new interesting features
- It can filter the surfing duration on a user basis.
You can find some explanations in other languages here :
SquidGuard and its competitors
- ufdbguard is a free and fast (8-9 time faster than squidguard) redirector which can use an commercial URL database : http://www.urlfilterdb.com
- http://tatewake.com/projects.htm Tatewake works on windows and is written in JAVA. It use
use squidguard's database to create a hosts file for windows.
- http://soulcatcher.sourceforge.net Soulcatcher is very similar to squidguard
- http://software.othello.ch/mod_dnsbl a blocking DNS-based module designed apache and Squid. It
can use our database.
- An access module for filtering ISA server
- redirector from Ian Lea is written in Perl.
It was the first redirector available. Slow, and hungry of memory.
- Squirm 1.0b First redirector written in C. Faster, and more
careful of memory usage than redirector. No more available.
- JunkBuster which is not really a redirector (in Squid sense) but
more a second proxy to connect to squid. It strips banners in web page.
- Jesred "Son" of squirm. Faster, a little more memory is
- Custodian. It "hashed" its blocklist to hide urls. No more available
file. I haven't test it.
- RedServer. Another one. No more available.
- DansGuardian Son of active guardian, it looks for content and PICS level.
It can filter faster than squidGuard (I haven't test it yet, I would soon) and it's now a competitor, no
more a complement of SquidGuard.
It's a filtering proxy and not a redirector.
- Many commercial sites sells filtering databases and software.
- It's a lot faster : for a 2.000 Urls list to filter and a 11.000 Urls database, on a pentium 233 :
We can say, it doesn't care of database size :
- Squirm : 2 minutes 25 seconds
- Jesred : 1 minute 45 seconds
- SquidGuard : 9 seconds !!!
- a 100 Urls database tooks 6 seconds
- a 11000 Urls database tooks 9 seconds (now the adult database contains 100 000 urls)
- Faster, in our case, is equal to "less redirector needed" : 20 for squidguard, 25 for squirm. Following a chart of redirector
- with squirm you need 3 redirectors 60% of time, with squidguard, only 5%
- with squirm you need 7 redirectors 10% of time, with squidguard, less than 0.5 %
- It can redirect url depending on :
- IP adress of client
- User identity (RFC 1413) or login/password
- URL (of course)
- "Class" of redirection (e.g. we can define a class banner, adult, and so on...)
- If database size doesn't matter, it means that we can put MANY urls. So we use less generic regular expression, which
make many errors (the computer xxx in nasa.gov domains e.g.)
This part show some personal contributions : scripts, databases and some advice.
- For Squirm, some patterns
- To show web usage : a script which describe a VERY APPROXIMATIVE proportion of URL classes (erotic, hacking, mp3, warez)
in your cache
- Come very useful scripts to detect pornographic url in squid log (and more) made by Cedric Foll : http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/pornfind/
- Usability of database depends of your users : MIT students are not golden boys who are not children.
- Some virus-filtering addon exist. They are connected by redirector (squirm or squidguard), and send
their files to a virus scanner. Some of them :
For all information on database (contributors, size, download method look at this page :
- http://www.surbl.org is a site to prevent spam. As we know, porno-business like spam. Surbl will,
likely, create a DNS zone for adult web site...
- Squid 2.6 isn't working : it replace
- A new command appears
- Nothing is blocked Many reasons :
- I can't download blacklist. Many reasons :
- You, or your entreprise, are protected by a "low level" firewall which is unable to understand "active ftp".
Check your ftp client, and change mode to "passive ftp".
- You, or your entreprise, are protected by a "too sensitive" "high level" firewall which say that length of
file path are too longue. Firewall1 (Checkpoint) is one of these. Look at ftp://ftp.univ-tlse1.fr/blacklist
which is a link to ftp://ftp.univ-tlse1.fr/pub/cache/squidguard_contrib. May Help
- Redirector :
Official Squid FAQ definition : http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/FAQ/FAQ-15.html
A redirector is a program which connects to Squid and allows to "translate" URLs before sending
them to Squid Process :
To put them in place, uncomment redirector line in squid.conf and enter children processes you need :
- for restricting access (erotic or financial Urls)
- for stripping banners to accelerate web usage
- for redirecting Urls on a local mirror (Netscape Navigator downloading e.g.)
Common redirectors use from 800 Ko to 1600 Ko.
You can also, if you don't care about very rare "workaround" (less than 0.01%) accept to bypass redirector if they
are all busy, by adding this line.